Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Introduction To Music


I've always listened to music. It's a really big part of my family's lifestyle.In the beginning I wasn't really a real music buff. My Father like any other full grown adult had his music tastes and I had full access to all his music. The thing is that, I never really got into his music collection. Don't get me wrong, he has a really wide and interesting music taste, but I just never got into it. I think the main reason for this was because he was my dad, and I probably thought it was uncool to listen to the same sort of music as him.However a little further down the track (probably year 4 or 5, so that's around 10 or 11), I realised that his taste wasn't all that bad.

What had happened was that I had discovered a few Weird Al Yankovich songs he had bought as a joke. He had all the classics from 'I ran over the Taco Bell Dog' to 'Elmo's got a gun'. Before this I had just blankly listened to radio. Neither loving or hating any songs played. But now I had found an artist I had actually liked.

I'm not sure when it happened but, I was listening to the radio in the car one day and I heard one of the Weird Al Songs. I felt really strange, It was a song that I knew so well being played for everyone to hear. Back then it was a really nice feeling. From then on I would listen to the car radio hoping to hear my favorite Weird Al song.

Soon after for christmas I received a radio from my Nana. It ended up being a really important part of daily routine. I had placed the radio on my bed side table and was listening to it every night. I would pop my pyjamas, hop into bed and switch the radio and listen to it until I got tired. This was an alternative to the simple bedtime novel, which just didn't cut it most nights.

After realising how crap Weird Al was I moved onto better things that I was listening to on the radio. I found various artists to be good song writers such as, Eminem, The Black Eyed Peas, Green Day and Spiderbait. For a while these were my favorite bands, I Just couldn't get enough 'Black betty'.

It was not till later that I was going through my dads iPod and I disc
overed a song called "around the world" by a band called Daft Punk. It was a pretty good song. It was one of the first electronic songs I had ever listened too. It wasn't like one of thoses songs that you listen to and think it's alright to start with and then slowly fall in love with. I listened to it once and straight away I knew I liked it.

From there my music taste changed. I was interested in electronic music, I had all these questions like; How do they make it? Do they use any real instruments? How do they peformed one stage. I decided to take another look through my dad's iPod again. This time I found an electronic song called 'zombienation' by a band called kernkraft 3000. This time the song was a lot faster and had a progressive rhythm, little did I know was I listening to trance music. My brother and I picked up that the song was progressive, we could hear how each instrument was introduced on its own all through the song (if that makes any sense). We had a dance. Each instrument would be some sort of weapon. The fast drums would be a machine gun and we'd do a machine gun action as the dance. The keyboard were lasers and we would pretend to shoot a laser for the dance.

My music taste soon changed again. This time I had found metal. One of my friends 'Samuel' had discovered a band called Rammstein. We both loved it. The first song we heard from them was 'Du Hast' which, like all their songs was sung in German. We couldn;t understand what they were saying, but we still loved it.

I soon realised that Rammstein was 'Industrial Metal' a sub genre of Metal and with this I discovered that there were all sorts of kinds of Metal like 'Death Metal', 'Black Metal' and even 'Power Metal'. A year or two passed on and Sam had found Black Metal. It wasn't long until I caught on too. Some of the Black Metal Classics included 'Emperor', 'Satyricon' and 'Immortal'. By now I was in year 10 or so. So about 15 years old.

Half way through year ten started to drift back to electronic music. This time I discovered a Psychedelic Trance band called Infected Mushroom. Their first song from them for me was 'Acid Killer' which is still one of my favorite songs. I remember bringing my Zen to school camp and listening to it all the way to there on the bus.

Now-a-days my music taste Is split between Metal (pretty much all Scandinavian Metal, whether it be black or heavy) and Electronic (like daft punk and infected mushroom).
I'm not reading through what I just wrote because it's heaps long. Well not for now atleast. So if there's any thing wrong with my grammar or spelling. woop woop.

No comments: